Wednesday 30 January 2008

Serves me right

After posting the first few articles, I decided it was time for me to let my friends know of my blog. So I sent out an e-mail to a few select people. Among these people was also a real journalist whom I greatly respect for his knowledge. He was actually the only person I sent the mail to that is not my close friend as such, but I did think some of the things that I wrote might interest him.
That said, I got a reply from him fast (as usual), which was (at first) quite hard to understand for me. This is what it said (references to real people and company removed):
Nice, really. If (my online paper) were to go away after (my boss) leaves for good, and we all start up a new site, write me. :) If you want a place to rant, I would be glad to post your stuff.

That said, don't mention the new site to anyone yet please.
As I said, I'm not a native english speaker, and I also don't interpret indirect statements like this one very well, so it took quite a while for me to decide that the first paragraph of the reply was actually sarcastic. Of course, there's quite a high possibility that I (again) totally misinterpreted what he actually meant, but that's not why I'm writing this post.
What made me think and decide to write this post was the ranting part of the first paragraph.
I already know that my writing style looks mostly like ranting. But the trouble is, I'm not actually ranting when I write my articles, mails or whatever it may be. The only article in this blog that might be an actual rant was the Vista one and even while writing that I really didn't feel any negative emotions.
I'd like to think that my posts might be better classified as constructive criticism, rather than rants. To make things clearer: rant = a post where the writer complains about something and vents his / her negative emotions about the subject while doing so. Constructive criticism = writing where the writer exposes some lacking details and tries to suggest a better path to solve the problems. This is my interpretation of these two terms which might be entirely incorrect. I actually never looked up "rant" in a dictionary. Maybe it's time I should... :D OK, so I just did; took me about 5 secs. Seems "rant" needs not be all negative, just passionate. But in the end it results in rambling which would suggest that (if I really do rant) the quality / value of my posts is close to zero. I'd like to think that's not the case.
That said, I started this blog also to gradually learn to improve my writing style to look more optimistic. I AM an optimist, always trying to improve the world around me. As futile as my attempts may be I will not give up on that. That also makes me a hopeless idealist, doesn't it? Sometimes people also do things that are just plain right instead of doing only those that are more profitable (short term). If I can sway one person to make such a decision once, the purpose of this blog will be fulfilled.

The only thing for me to do here is to try make my posts actually look optimistic and full of positive energy. But this will not be an easy thing for me to do. I just wish the learning curve wasn't too steep :D